ButterMyBiscuits Etsy Shop

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Small Scale Dying

I've had this bottle of Rit Dye in "Wine" for over a year now that I bought for a fall themed Martha corn husk wreath project that I obviously never followed through with. I was trying to be "productive" over spring break so I decided to dye some fabric for making flowers. 

"Wine Dyed" 


I used a tupperware container (sitting in two plastic bags for extra protection) and kind of read the directions, but basically used about 3 cups hot water to approximately 2-3 tablespoons of dye....I am not a measuring kind of girl...so who knows if this is right...but whatever I did seemed to work just fine. 

I started by trying to dye this rick rack I stitched together to make Rick Rack Roses (from a previous post)...but it's too synthetic and didn't absorb the dye very much. 

As you can see, I was smart enough to wear gloves. 


Next I had these pre-cut circles for fabric flowers that I tossed in there...

And some silk from a scarf that really took the dye...

And kabob sticks look really good dyed...wish I had some clothespins to throw in there. 


Here's the stack of stuff I used....I cut small chunks from these to dye...









No comments:

Post a Comment