ButterMyBiscuits Etsy Shop

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

T-Shirt Yarn Spider Web Halloween Photo Booth Display

Well, that was a wordy title...but I wanted to give all the guts up front. I was inspired by seeing this done with gray yarn on pinterest...but I needed a little more pizzazz for a bold backdrop. (Just found out how to spell "pizzazz".)

Anyway, here's the final product and how you make it! It wasn't too hard...the tweaking at the last minute will get ya, but after I realized I should have stopped "messing with it" about 5 times it was almost too late and then it just 'settled' into something wonderful and slightly 3-Dish. I'm really excited about this being my Halloween party photo booth backdrop.

I cut these letters from black poster board paper to add a little holiday spirit. 

HOW TO MAKE IT:
Materials Needed
- Black (XL) t-shirt
- Sharp scissors
- Clear or Black Push Pins
- Forgiving Husband
- Patience...maybe like an hour (or watch your favorite scary movie)



 Step One: Cut roughly 1" strips from a black t-shirt....or whatever color you want...you could make a hot pink spider web if that's what you're into. The sky's the limit.




Pull the strip until it gets skinny and curls up. This is how you make the "yarn". 





Amass a pile of yarn which will look like a creepy pile of worms. 


Start by pinning up a large X on the wall space where you will be installing this giant spider web. Luckily my husband doesn't seem to care that I've put zillions of tiny holes in this wall. 
 [ I guess he'll be fixing that later for me. ]



Build your spider web lines with more X's or T's. I stopped at 4 lines (one X and one T)...but you could do a few more for more detail. I call these the "skeletal lines". Everything is Halloween themed right now ya'll. 





Here you can see where I started out thinking a curved web lines would be a good idea....




Then I made the early decision to just tighten them. This was the right decision for my personal sanity....hard to battle against gravity sometimes.



So sometimes I tied a little knot...but most of the time I'd take a long piece and just make a loop around my skeletal lines until I got to the end of my yarn. Each new start requires a new knot, but that's not a big deal. It's easy to work with when your yarn isn't too long. 
Less tangly possibilities. 


Voila! T-shirt yarn spider web! I love how this photo has a green glow to it...oooooh, scary. Radioactive spider web!

No comments:

Post a Comment