ButterMyBiscuits Etsy Shop

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Low Carb White Chicken Chili

Tennessee had a lovely fall day about a week ago that had everyone in a good mood...then it got hot again. But regardless, we had the ONE awesome preview to fall. Oh I can't wait. So, that day inspired a light chili supper for me and my hubby.


Low Carb White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

Pulled chicken from a Kroger Roasted Chicken....or you can cook your own, but I wanted to save time
1 can Cannelini beans (which are apparently not to carb friendly)
1 can Red Kidney beans
1 can Large Butter Beans
1 can Garbonzo Beans (which turned out awesome)
1 onion finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
1 Carrot chopped
1 sweet pepper chopped
3-4 strips raw bacon chopped
1-2 cups heavy cream
12 ounces chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 stick real salted butter....never use margarine....REAL BUTTER is amazing and better for you.

Topping:
Sour Cream (All-Natural has the lowest carbs)
Cheddar Cheese
Avocado


How To:

I prefer using my Martha Stewart dutch oven to make any soup or chili. It's so awesome. (Shout out Martha!)

Anyways, I started by browning/sizzling some butter, the bacon and garlic. Ina Garten always says if you want people to think you're making something good, just saute some garlic in butter. SO, this is your flavor maker base. If this starts turning brown at the bottom, then you're doing a good job. That's the good stuff. Also, remember to use a wooden spoon for this.



While this is sizzling, I went ahead and rinsed and drained all the beans. I just dump the cans in a colander and rinse well.


Then I had pre-chopped my carrots, onion and peppers so they'd be ready to join the garlic and bacon yumminess. I just dumped those in and stirred 'em up.





Now here's where I wanted to add some liquid so I used about 3/4 of this lovely free range chicken broth. I felt very East Nashville purchasing this item. (Insert Portlandia quote: is this local?)

I also added the heavy cream and the beans once there was lots of liquid in there.


Now you can learn from my mistake...I added my chicken at the beginning and by the end of the 4 hours of stew time, the chicken was mush. It was still delicious...but it was mushy.






I let mine simmer on low heat (like the 2 setting) for as long as I could wait to eat this. Basically 3-4 hours...but it would probably be ready after coming to a boil then simmering for about 20-35 minutes....I would add the chicken about 15 minutes before you're ready to eat it if you're on a tight schedule.










It's probably a good idea to bring it to a soft boil before you decide to go to simmer mode.
















This is the photo I sent to my hubby....to get him to come home from work. Just a little teaser...who can guess what's in here? (clue quote)









When you've waited as long as you can wait, then it's time to dig in. I topped mine off with some cheese, sour cream (of course) and avocado.....DELICIOUS and low carb! Yay.



PS...Another chance for you to learn from my mistake...thinking my garden's jalapenos weren't going to be hot, I added a can of Rotel too...big mistake. This chili was SPICY! Like back of the throat breathing fire spicy..but it was still yummy. So ...DON'T add a can of rotel. :)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Here's a nice little bean chart I found from http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2011/07/23/what-kind-of-beans-should-i-eat-the-great-slow-carb-bean-index/

For ONE CUP of COOKED Legumes....

Bean  TypeCaloriesCarbsProteinFiberFat
Black Beans22740.8g15.2g15g0.4g
Red Beans22540.3615.3513.1g.88g
Pinto Beans24544.8g15.4g15.4g1.2g
Great Northern Beans20937.3g14.7g12.4g0.9g
Cannellini Beans28246g20g12g2g
Lima Beans21639.3g14.7g13.2g0.8g
Navy Beans25547.5g15g19.1g1.1g
Fava Beans18733.5g12.9g9.2g0.7g
Mung Beans21238.8g14.2g15.4g0.8g
Adzuki Beans29457g17.3g16.8g0.2g
Black-eyed Peas22032g16g8g1g
ChickPeas (Garbanzo Beans)26944.9g14.5g12.5g4.3g
Lentils23040g18g16g1g
Soy Beans (edamame)25420g22.2g7.6g11.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment