ButterMyBiscuits Etsy Shop

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sharpie on Porcelain

 

I made these special little gifties for Christmas this past year…seems like so long ago now. They are very simple to make…all you need is an idea.

Draw whatever your heart desires on a plate or mug with Sharpie marker. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 30 minutes, then leave the plates in the oven, turn the oven off and let them cool down.

I bought these plates from the Dollar Tree, which were really nice white plates with a little decorative border.

IMG_1683IMG_1682

We have been eating off these and the images are still there…after several washes in the dishwasher.

 

IMG_1577IMG_1578

We ended up keeping these plates for ourselves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made this plate for my sister-in-law who’s preggos expecting in February. I’m going to be an aunt!

IMG_1659IMG_1661

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are the Christmas mugs….

This Watership Down mug was for my step-dad.

IMG_1669IMG_1670IMG_1671IMG_1672

I will say these were baked in the oven like all the others, however, something went wrong and they washed off in the dishwasher. I did observe my step-dad place his mug, after he used it, in a bowl of water to soak it, even though I explicitly said do not submerge in water, place on the top rack of the dishwasher only…regardless, I just drew everything back on for his and left the baking instructions. No one else has had this problem, so I think the key is…do not submerge in water!

IMG_1675

Here’s the one I made for my younger sister.

IMG_1676IMG_1677

And for friends below…

IMG_1678IMG_1679IMG_1680IMG_1681

2 comments:

  1. curious about this. any funky fumes while baking? when i've used our toaster oven for shrinky dinks, there was a plastic smell that lingered for a few times after when we used it for cooking food. you've got some cool stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment. I didn't notice fumes, but after about 20 washes in the dishwasher they are fading fast. I've been reading up that oil based sharpie pens are more permanent for this project, so i would be curious about the "oil-based" aspect regarding the oven. I used our big oven by the way...not a toaster oven, but I know what you mean about shrinky dinks. Most art teachers I know that make those, have a separate toaster oven for art stuff only.

    ReplyDelete