ButterMyBiscuits Etsy Shop

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Singed Fabric Flower Tutorial

I made these for my bridesmaid's and one big one for me. I think they looked so pretty in their hair and these are fun and easy to make with an element of danger...oooh la la! Scary crafts!


Materials Needed: 
1 small votive candle
100% polyester fabric/ thrift store scarves
needle and matching thread
felt


Step 1: Find some 100% polyester fabric....this cream fabric I bought at JoAnn's and I just read the bolt and made sure it was polyester...although you can experiment with any fabric, you get the best results and no smoke from poly. I tried this with silk and it was too smokey and scary! 

Step 2: Cut your fabric into circles. You know me, I don't measure things...so guesstimate some big, medium and small circles. I'd say you'll use 5-10 circles per flower depended on how "full" you want your bloom to be. 


Step 3: Cut slits around your circles. 


Step 4: Hold one "petal" out over your flame. Use a small candle and you aren't actually putting this into the flame, just get it close enough to the heat to start "curling" your petals. Rotate around your flower until all petals are 'singed'. 



You can layer lacy netted/tulle fabrics in between to add fullness. 

Repeat until you have enough pieces to create the flower you want. 


Step 5: Making a backing....
To make the back, cut a small felt circle and I cut two slits for a bobby pin to live in so you can attach easily to your hair. 

If this isn't a hairpiece, then just sew on your circle of felt and you can hot glue or stitch on a brooch pin. 


Sew your stack of petals to your felt. Don't worry about messy stitches because I ball up a piece of scrap to cover up the mess at the last minute. (See below on my colorful flower...)

And voila! Lovely fabric flowers!




Here's my newly discovered miracle...a sock bun....with my singed fabric flowers. 

I decided I needed another flower for my new orange dress...that I will be wearing the first night of our cruise next week! Woo hoo, Bahamas! Anyway, I made this one from an old scarf I had laying around from Goodwill...



Here's that bunched up fabric scrap I was talking about for the center at the last minute to cover up your stitches. I singed it a little, (carefully!) before I attached it. 


Lovely! Sock bun and all!


No comments:

Post a Comment